Ceramic Biennale 2017 Korea
Artists around the world are invited to take part in the international competition organized by the Gyeonggi International Ceramic Biennale 2017 (GICB 2017) for the spring of next year!
This competition calls for the artworks that mirror the modern trends and point to the future of the ceramic arts.
We welcome such artworks that redefine the essence of ceramics by exploring the spirit, values, forms and techniques of the traditional ceramic art. We also welcome such artworks that attempt a reinterpretation of the values of the traditional ceramic art as well as innovative, expressive works that cross genres.
Unleash your creativity and imagination at the GICB 2017 International Competition, a window to the future of ceramics.
Total of Cash Prizes is KRW116,000,000(≒101,500,00USD)
The Grand Prize Winner will receive a cash prize of
KRW50,000,000(≒43,000,00USD) and will be invited to solo exhibition
during the GICB2019 as well as the grand opening ceremony for the GICB2017.
Submission of Images for Preliminary Screening via Online
October 4(Tue) to 31(Mon), 2016 / ic.gicb.kr
Submission of Actual Work for Final Selection On-site
Koreans) February 6(Mon) to 17(Fri), 2017
Overseas) February 6(Mon) to 24(Fri), 2017
- Artworks that use clay/ceramics as the main material or subject matter
are eligible to be submitted.
- There is no specific theme regarding entries to the International Competition.
CONDITION FOR APPLICATION
- There are no nationality or age restrictions.
- Applicants are permitted to apply as an individual or as a team.
(1 team is equivalent to 1 individual applicant.)
- The submitted entry must not have been previously presented or have received
an award at a domestic or international competition. The entry must have been created within the past three years.※ If the entry fails to meet the above
requirements, it will be disqualified in the screening process. In the event that an award-winning
entry is subsequently revealed to have failed the above requirements, the award will be revoked
and the cash prize reclaimed.
- Each entrant may submit up to three entries.
- A single entry should be – when displayed – within these specified dimensions:
250cm (w); 250cm (d); 250cm (h). (Mandatory requirement)
- All documents and the proceedings shall be in Korean and English.
- SUBMISSION OF IMAGES FOR PRELIMINARY SCREENING
PERIOD October 4 (Tuesday) ~ October 31 (Monday), 2016
METHOD Online submissions ONLY (www.kocef.org)
※ For film or any other type of media art entries, still cut photo should be submitted to
the online application site and videos should be submitted in DVD format via mail.
※ Artworks that include a sounds must be specified as such when submitted
on the online application site. The sound sources file must be submitted separately via email.
REQUIRED ELEMENTS FOR SUBMISSION
① Description on artwork and statement by artist(s) ※ Must be submitted
② 5 Images of artwork (including front, side, and detailed
images of the work)
※ 300dpi or higher resolution in JPG file format
③ Applicant's resume/CV
- SUBMISSION OF ACTUAL WORKS FOR FINAL SELECTION
PERIOD KOREANS) February 6 (Monday) ~ February 17 (Friday), 2017
OVERSEAS) February 6 (Monday) ~ February 24 (Friday), 2017
SUBMITTAL OFFICE 3rd floor of Icheon World Ceramic Center
263, Gyeongchung-daero 2697 beongil, Icheon-si, Gyeonggi-do,
17379, Rep.of korea
METHOD The work (or works) may be submitted directly to
the submittal office by the artists/deputy or via “Nail to Nail” delivery by
a transport company at the expense of the sender.
※ Submission hours: 10:00~17:00
REQUIRED ELEMENTS FOR SUBMISSION
① Actual work that passed preliminary screening
② Display instructions
③ Artwork description form & Condition report
④ Customs declaration form and invoice ※ Only applies to overseas shipping
(also applies to artworks submitted
in person by the artist)
⑤ Other materials requested by KOCEF
JUDGING AND ANNOUNMENTS OF WINNERS
- PRELIMINARY SCREENING
PERIOD November 3 (Thu) ~ November 18 (Fri), 2016
ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS November 21 (Monday), 2016
※ The results of the preliminary screening and final selection will be announced on
the website of KOCEF and notified to the entrants individually.
- FINAL SELECTION
PERIOD March 27 (Mon) ~ March 30 (Thu), 2017
ANNOUNCEMENT OF RESULTS Apr 3 (Mon), 2017
AWARDS CEREMONY & EXHIBITION
- AWARDS CEREMONY April 22 (Sat), 2017 ※ tentative date
- EXHIBITION PERIOD April 22 (Sat), ~ October 9 (Mon), 2017
- EXHIBITION VENUE 3rd floor of Icheon World Ceramic Center
||KRW 50,000,000 (≒43,000.000 USD)
||Solo Exhibition for GICB2019 +
Invitation to GICB2017 opening ceremony, trophy & award plaque, catalogue
|Includes purchase price and tax
||KRW 20,000,000 (≒17,500.000 USD)
||Invitation to GICB2017 opening ceremony, trophy & award plaque, catalogue
||KRW 10,000,000 (≒8,800,000 USD) each
||Trophy & award plaque, catalogue
||KRW 6,000,000 (≒5,400.000 USD) each
||KRW 2,000,000 (≒1,800.000 USD) each
(Most Popular Work by Spectators)
||KRW 2,000,000 (≒1,800.000 USD)
||Award plaque, catalogue
||Up to 80
- The exchange rate at the close of foreign exchange trading on the day the awards are granted
shall apply to the conversion of the prize money into the currency of choice of the winner.
Korean winners and winners from countries with which Korea has no tax treaties will be
requiredto pay Korean taxes on the prize money.
- The cash prizes for the Grand, Gold, Silver, and Bronze prize winners include the purchase prices,
and the winning works shall become the property of KOCEF and be included in the KOCEF collection.
- The Grand Prize winner will be invited for the GICB 2019 solo exhibition funded by the KOCEF.
- The Grand Prize winner and the Gold Prize winner will be invited to the GICB 2017 opening
ceremony and other biennale programs. The KOCEF will pay for a round-trip air ticket
and lodgings (two nights, three days). If a selected work is done by a group, only one individual
representing the group will be invited.
- KOCEF reserves the right to exhibit, photograph, record, show footage of, and publish articles on
the prize-winning works.
- Details on the awards mentioned above are subject to change at any time at the discretion of the Jury.
TRANSPORTATION & PACKING
- The artwork that has passed the preliminary screening must be
shipped through an art shipping company for submission for
the final selection at the artist’s own costs and responsibility.
- The KOCEF will handle all transportation needs (i.e. exhibition display,
repacking, and return of the artwork) after its receipt of the artwork
at its own costs and responsibility.
- The entrant should pack his or her work with especial care to prevent
damage in shipment to the submittal office, and he or she should make
a report on the condition of the work to confirm and prove the condition of
the work before shipment to the KOCEF. The KOCEF shall not be responsible
for damage to the work that occurs in shipment to the KOCEF.
- For overseas transportation, the artwork must be shipped under
a “Nail to Nail” coverage from the place of shipping to the Icheon World
Ceramic Center. The artist must submit a customs declaration form and invoice.
If the artwork is not shipped through an art shipping company, the artist may
incur additional customs charges, shipping costs (from customs to the place
where the artwork is to be received) and other related charges.
The KOCEF is not responsible for such charges.
- The work will be shipped back to the entrant sometime between October 10
and December 20, 2017, after the exhibition closed. If the entrant is not able to
receive the work due to his or her absence at the shipping destination,
KOCEF shall not be held responsible for failure of delivery.
- The KOCEF is responsible for the safe handling of the artwork from the time of
its receipt of the artwork to the time the artwork is returned to the artist.
In order to enable the KOCEF to procure insurance for the
artwork for the duration of this period, the artist must enter the exit value and the insurance
value of the artwork in the Artwork description form.
- If any damage occurs to an artwork after it has passed the preliminary
screening and been received by the KOCEF, the loss shall be handled in
accordance with the decisions of the KOCEF and the insurance company.
- Works that arrive at the submittal office after the deadline shall be disqualified.
- All prize-winning artworks, i.e. exhibited artworks, will be determined by
the second screening of the submitted artworks. The evaluation committee
may disqualify an artwork at this stage if the actual artwork is not same as
the work submitted to the online application site initially. In this case,
disqualified artworks are returned to their artists by the KOCEF.
- If a plagiarism dispute arises subsequent to the first or second screening,
any prize awarded to the artwork in question may be revoked following
an appeal process.
- Matters relating to display of works will be handled by KOCEF. And works
displayed may not be removed from the exhibition during the exhibition period.
- The above is subject to change and any changes
will be posted on the KOCEF website.
- GICB2017@gmail.com / +82 (0)31-645-0663